Monday 12 December 2011

Smell The Roses

In January 2007, the world famous violin player Joshua Bell played as a street musician in front of morning commuters within a metro station in Washington DC. He played wonderful and very complex pieces on his violin which is worth over $3.5 million, and hardly anyone noticed. Even though just a few days prior he had performed within a Boston theatre, where the average selling price was about $100. He only made $32 from his performance within the subway.

Only a few people stopped to have a quick listen before quickly rushing away, many others completely ignore the man entirely. Some stopped to listen for a few minutes and gave a tip; others just threw in a tip without even stopping. This is a man who sells out theatre so people can go for a couple of hours to listen to his music paying at least $100, yet no one really had the time to stop and listen to this wonderful music while everyone was rushing to work or wherever they were headed that day.

I’m not sure if many of you are aware of this but on Saturday night (Sunday morning) at about 2:30am there was a lunar eclipse. A lunar eclipse is when the moon passes behind the earth so that the earth blocks the sun rays from striking the moon. All three have to be perfectly aligned. When this happened the moon turns red, and can be viewed perfectly with the naked eye without any harm. It was an event that I’m always excited to see. Within the weather we’ve been having all week, I was also very optimistic that I will get to view it. Which I did. I stayed up all night watching this fantastic show that nature had to offer.

The next morning I went to buy the paper thinking since most of the east coast of Australia had a fantastic view that it would at least made the front page. I was completely wrong. The major news the next day was about a Home and Away star that was arrested for domestic violence. The even funnier thing? I check the whole newspaper and it didn’t even get a mention, let alone a photo of the event.

Nature has amazing and beautiful scenes to offer us each and every day, how many of us actually take the time to notice it? I recall the first week that I worked within the CBD. Since it was darker a lot sooner I would take my time walking back to the station within the city, and just looking up and seeing all the lights and tall buildings would take my breath away. Even now in summer when I get home (and it isn’t overcast), the sun setting is such a wonderful sight.

Have you walk around your neighbourhood lately? The other day I got to see a bunch of wild birds all having a bath within a puddle. There were at least 20 of them washing themselves. There’s a bunch of people fighting to preserve nature. They are out there every day trying to find donations and at the moment against the whale killers. We’ve now been taught to recycle everyday, cut down on our use on electricity, and to use more biodegradable items. Why are we doing all of this for if we can’t even take the time to appreciate it all? I can guarantee you that if you stopped for a moment just one day and really paid attention to your surroundings, you’ll find something around you that is amazing. Even if it is as simple as a rainbow after the rain or a bird flying through the air on a clear day.

No comments:

Post a Comment